How likely am I to be involved a plane crash

Ease your nerves and put your mind at rest knowing the safety facts about flying. Is flying actually safer than driving a car? Can a plane glide without engines? Find the answers here.
frank

How likely am I to be involved a plane crash

Postby frank » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:31 am

Always had a fear of flying and Ive heard that contrary to what stats i read on the internet, that flying isn't actually safe at all, it all depends on what metrics you use to measure it.

So the big question is "how likely am i to be involved in an air accident?"

flightstats

Re: How likely am I to be involved a plane crash

Postby flightstats » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Well to a certain degree you are right. The level of safety can vary depending on how you look at it and I will give an example shortly, but in general flying is pretty safe and there are very very few plane crashes throughout the world especially with modern aircraft.

I heard this from someone reasonably high up in a commercial airline company. They compared which is safer, A oneway flight in a space rocket to Mars where the pilot was guaranteed to not return and a modern fully loaded aircraft making the same distance in one journey. Well the stats show that there are more deaths in a plane doing that distance than the single rocket pilot, so even thought the rocket is pilot is def not coming back the rocket is deemed safer.

flightstats

Re: How likely am I to be involved a plane crash

Postby flightstats » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:19 pm

I will find out the exact statistic and repost it when I find it. It is actually very amusing and you can take the same angle on many different things. Everything comes down to perspective.

Return to “Flight Safety”